Monday, December 24, 2012

Is 2012 Over Yet? 37*59' N, 122*32' W

San Rafael, California:  I haven’t been very good at blogging in 2012 (or 2011 or 2010).  I created Latitudes and Longitudes to comment primarily on my travels around the block and around the world.  Unfortunately, I have a woeful lack of discipline.  And although I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions, in 2013 I am going to do better.  Despite an insane schedule, I should be able to set aside at least an hour or so each week to put some coherent thoughts down on paper.

I managed only three blog postings in 2012 – and the last one was way back in March.  I wrote only five postings in 2011 – a prolific writer I am not.  This entry is my fourth and last posting of the year -- a year that I am so happy is coming to a close.

I was thinking the other day about how each year has certain milestones that mark the march of time from January to December.  In this regard, 2012 was no different.   In April, we took our annual spring trip to New York to visit Jim’s family.  In July, we spent our annual day at the Marin County Fair.  In October, we bought our annual Halloween pumpkin at St. Vincent’s School. On Thanksgiving, we had our annual turkey dinner and then settled in to watch The Polar Express.  Today, Christmas Eve, we are off to our annual feast at PF Changs and tomorrow – Christmas Day -- we are going to the movies.  We will spend New Year’s Eve at Wildfox in Novato and be on the couch at midnight to ring in 2013.

2012, for lack of a better phrase, sucked.  To paraphrase Queen Elizabeth II “2012 is not a year on which I shall look back with undiluted pleasure… it has turned out to be an Annus Horribilis.”  She was talking about 1992, but I think her words apply to this year just as well.  I am not alone; although I haven’t taken an official poll, most of the people I know are happy to see this year come to an end.

Of course, I certainly have a lot to be thankful for: a wonderful partner, family, friends and job.  Nevertheless, 2012 was marked by sadness and loss.  My grandmother died in March at the ripe old age of 102.  I traveled to Detroit for her funeral and then went directly to Los Angeles for work.  I had no idea that when I left San Francisco on March 9th that I would never see my precious dog, Hat Trick, again.  While in LA, she became very sick and on March 15th we said goodbye to her.  I was unprepared for how devastating it can be to lose a pet.  We adopted Hat Trick in 2000 and she brought so much happy energy into the house.  I can’t believe she is gone and still expect that she is going to run up the stairs, jump onto the bed and beg me for belly rubs.

It was a double blow when we had to put our beautiful cat, Bogie, down in September.  I had Bogie for almost 17 years.  He was my buddy and the house is very empty without him.

All of this sadness took place while my family was dealing with much larger and more serious issues.  My mother became seriously ill with Polyarteritis nodosa, a disease that affects the blood vessels that carry oxygen-rich blood to organs and tissues.  I won’t go into all of the details, but since May we have been dealing with this sad turn of events.  It has been emotionally taxing for the entire family, especially my father.  Not only has he watched his wife of sixty years fight a very serious illness, but also has dealt with all of the financial, logistical and bureaucratic issues that relate to elder care.

In a couple of weeks, Mom is being moved from a skilled nursing facility in Santa Monica, to one in Rancho Mirage.  My father is moving into a new home close by.  I am hopeful that the clear desert air will do both of them good.

I would be remiss if I did not recall some good things that happened this year.  We had a fabulous trip to Hong Kong.  We rediscovered Spinning at Pelo Fitness in San Rafael.  On the Zayac side of the family, we welcomed four new, healthy babies into the world.  Finally, although no pet will ever replace Hat Trick, we welcomed Dezi into our lives.  She is the cutest dog in the world and we are lucky to have her.

Still, I don’t know whether I will jump for joy or cry at midnight, but I am looking forward to 2013 and hope it is a year of happiness and contentment for all.

Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment